It has been a very busy and exciting few days around here….just a few days after we returned from our wonderful trip to Cuba, i embarked upon the testing of some 15 new glazes! I’ve long admired the glaze surfaces of Steven Hill who used to fire in cone 10 reduction, and about 3 years ago he did a whole lot of testing and is now able to get the same amazing glazes, at cone 6, in oxidation! i was so happy to get his DVD and some of his glaze recipes!
I also needed to get the 4 whirling dervish teapots fired – I have a deadline of 20th April to submit images to Lark publications…they are putting out a new book…500 Teapots! So the pressure was on….and i decided to go all out and basically do my second round of glaze testing…on my teapots! Call me crazy – but sometimes you just gotta go big and leap!!!
The following images are the before and after shots of each teapot!!
First one is using my usual cream gloss combination…with one added new glaze!
and finally…the one i really let loose on….it’s growing on me for sure, but when i took it out of the kiln..i let out a small gasp….it wasn’t what i was expecting!
….and of course the headaches will begin when I have to try to decide on which glazes to add to the 3 I already offer a full line in!
So, what a blast trying out these new glazes, and I’ve certainly got my work cut out for me with the next few rounds of tests!
But that’s the fun of all this mucking about in the clay…continuous experimentation and searching.